COVID-19 testing is now available through Garcia Lab. Specimen can now be collected in the Multi-Collect Specimen Collection Kit. The test code in CareEvolve is COV19. TAT is approximately 1-3 days. We have notified the EMR’s that currently send orders to us of this addition, so your EMR should have this code available shortly.
COVID-19 Collection Instructions…REVISED 4/6/2020
**OROPHARYNGEAL OR NASAL SWAB
- Discard disposable transfer pipette; it is not required for nasal or oropharyngeal swab specimen connection.
- Remove the sterile swab from the wrapper, taking care not to touch tip or lay it down on any surface. Do not pre-wet the swab.
- Collect patient specimen per CDC guidelines.
- Handle the cap and tube carefully to avoid contamination, including the outside of the transport tube and cap. If necessary, change gloves.
- Unscrew the transport tube cap and immediately place the specimen collection swab into the transport tube so that the white tip is down.
- Carefully break the swab at the scored line on the shaft; use care to avoid splashing of contents.
- Recap the transport tube. Ensure the cap seals tightly. The cap must be tight or leakage may occur.
- Label the transport tube with sample indentification information. It is recommended that each tube be placed in an individual, sealable bag prior to transport.
- Place the bio-hazard bag upright in the foam provided, inside the shipping boxes (paperwork and Multi-Collect can be placed with other bloodwork sent that day).
#9 ONLY APPLIES IF SHIPPING SPECIMEN VIA UPS
10. Specimen is good at room temperature 48 ours after collection.
11. Please notify lab of incoming COVID testing by either phone or email.
- Phone: 1-800-888-8598
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions at all regarding collection or shipping process please do not hesitate to call. Please call 1-800-888-8598 and speak to Rachelle Maurer, Colin Smith, Jeff Peterson, or David Garcia.